My love affair with butter dates well back into my childhood. I can’t remember a time when I did not slather toast, muffins and, well, pretty much everything with this creamy, salty and golden treat. However, as I aged, I began to look for new and fascinating ways to incorporate butter into my recipes. These cheesy, flaky, melt in your mouth biscuits are the ultimate butter lover’s dream. They are quick and easy to make, and are guaranteed to please even the fussiest dinner guest.
1 ¾ cups flour
1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons butter, cut into half inch cubes (I use salted, but you can use either)
1 ¼ cups cheddar cheese, grated (or any sharp hard cheese of your choice)
¾ cup of milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon fresh or dried parsley
1 clove of garlic minced
- Preheat the oven to 425 °C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to combine. Add in the butter cubes and work through with your fingers until the mixture is the consistence of wet sand and small pebbles of batter are forming.
- Stir in the grated cheese. Once cheese is combined add the milk and mix until a shaggy dough has formed. Do not over mix them or they will become tough. It is OK if there are a few small chunks.
- Drop the dough onto a baking sheet in approximately ¼ cup portions and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Melt the butter for the topping and mix in minced garlic and parsley. Remove biscuits from the oven and drizzle with the garlic butter mixture. Eat warm!
*These biscuits go well with chicken, seafood or on their own as a delicious snack. Serve warm for best results.